Sunday, July 25, 2010

Day 34 - The Last Resort to Northstar Resort, Lake Tahoe, CA




After a month, Dylan and I were finally reunited with Sandra. Sandra flew into Reno to take Dylan to his photoshoot for Pottery Barn Teen up in Lake Tahoe on Friday. Paul dropped me off at the Reno airport on his way to work and I waited for Sandra's flight to arrive. When I saw her walk around the corner from her gate, it was like a man dying of thirst in the desert seeing water after crawling to the top of a sand dune. The old saying is true, distance DOES make the heart grow fonder!!! It was a reunion of very special significance that I shall remember forever.

The plan was to drive back to The Last Resort to spend the evening with Paul and Karyn so I left Dylan in bed when I went to pick up Sandra but he was wide awake and quite excited to see his mom by the time we got there. Big hugs all around!! As I suspected, the first thing he did was take her for a ride on the ATV!! Seriously, after traveling all around the country and seeing everything he did, the only thing that he really wanted to do was ride ATV's. They were gone for quite a while and had a great ride.

Paul, Karyn and little William came home and we all enjoyed a great evening together before we had to leave to make the drive up to Northstar to check into our hotel room. It was about 67 miles from The Last Resort up to Tahoe so, by the time we got there, it was about 9:30 or so. We followed the signs to "check-in" and were appalled to see that the office was closed and completely dark. The office, btw, was free-standing all by itself near the entrance with no other buildings around. We had no idea what was going on. Sandra and I were both starting to get a little worried that we may have to make the drive all the way back to The Last Resort but I decided to get out and see if there was an after-hours phone number or something that I could call. I walked up to the door and there was a sign on the door that said, "After hours check-in, please open the box and press the red button" Ummm....ok. I pressed the button and the security guy gets on and warmly greets me. I told him who I was and that I was trying to check in. He says, "where are you standing?" I said, "right outside the check-in office" He says, "Good. Now turn around. See that box behind you? Open the door and you'll see a keypad. Type in: 05683# and pull the door open. Inside, you will find an envelope with your name on it. Inside is your key, a map to where your condo is and a welcome packet with a parking pass and other goodies. Enjoy your stay and have a good evening!" I expected him to finish with: "this message will self-destruct in 10 seconds." I walked back to the car feeling like I had just found a treasure map or something.

For fairly obvious reasons, I was hoping that our hotel room had two beds with a little privacy. I needn't have worried!!! A 2 story, 2 bedroom, 2 bath ski condo awaited us way up in the forest!!! Woohooo!!!! Remember how I've talked about balance in life? Well, all the negative balance that was accrued during our uncomfortable nights in the sweltering tent was balanced out quite nicely by this condo! It's all about balance.

.....and a good night was had by all!!! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment