Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Day 4 - Another Day At Mesa Verde Nat'l Park








Obviously, my post from yesterday didn't get posted at all. I sat outside the general store for about 45 minutes trying to get this damn blog to upload. So much for the satellite internet service they had there.

We had a fantastic day. We drove down to the ancient Cave Dwellings that were occupied by the Ancestoral Pueblans over 700 years ago. To see where they built there "cities" perched up underneath sandstone overhangs was just mind boggling. Especially, if you think that they had to do all their farming on top of the mesa which meant climbing in and out of the dwelling every day. They must have been pretty strong, wiry little people.

We got back to the campsite with plenty of time to do a hike to the top of one of the mesas. We actually hiked completely over the top of Prater Ridge. On the other side, Dylan and I just sat on the very edge of about a 150 foot cliff and ate Cajun Mix and Goldfish Crackers!! Life is good!!! One thing I can say is that I'm really happy that I hit the gym prior to going on this trip. All the hiking and biking that we've done at over 7000 feet of altitude has not really phased me at all. I've had no problems at all keeping up with Dylan. I have "seen the light" of physical phytness. It's easy to say it now but I really can't see myself going back to my slovenly ways.

As I type this, my son is driving across 90 miles of absolutely straight highway going across the Colorado plains. Gotta love 3G!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment