Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Day 11 - New Orleans to St. Andrews State Park, Panama City, FL







I was debating the whole time whether or not to go camping or to check into a hotel. It was pouring down rain when we left N.O. this morning and I stressed the whole way whether or not to try camping. We finally decided to give it a go and set up with our new rain tarp and see what happened.

The drive from N.O. to here was really uneventful. Lots of rain and traffic to deal with...actually some of the most rain I've ever driven in in my whole life...and that's a long time! We finally arrived at our destination and found it at the very end of a peninsula filled with beautiful hotels and spring break type party locations. I really didn't know what we were getting into until we pulled into the park. The ranger lady gave us a list of sites to choose from and they were all very open to the elements and, at the time, it was sprinkling, the wind was howling and thunderheads were brewing out to sea and blowing our way. I was very stressed. We finished setting up camp and I was very proud at how well the rain tarp was set up and tied down. I felt we were ready for whatever Mother Nature threw our way.

We took off on bikes and went for a little cruise around the park. We asked a cop, who happened to be hanging out in his truck by the camp store, how to get to the beach. He spit out his tobacco, apologized for chewin' cuz he wasn't 'spectin' on talkin' to the public, and proceeded to give us a 10 minute lesson on how to go down the road about a 1/4 mile and follow the boardwalk over the dunes. I guess he just wanted to talk. We passed Gator Lake on the way and stopped to see if we could see any gators. Not yet, but we'll keep our eyes open! Our first indication of what we were going to see when we walked up over the dunes came walking down the stairs with sun-bleached blonde hair, bronze body barely contained in a skimpy bikini, feet covered with what looked like powdered sugar and she was carrying a surf board. Dylan immediately announced that he was staying here an extra day. I could do what I wanted but he was staying!!! Well, who was I to argue?

We walked up over the dunes and were greeted with a long beach of that same powdered sugar sand, the beautiful emerald green Gulf of Mexico and surfers everywhere! Because of Tropical Storm Alex, there were double red flags so nobody was allowed in the water except for surfers. We still walked down to the shore and put our hands into the warm Gulf waters for the very first time. It was amazing!! Dylan announced that he wants to buy a skim board and spend the whole day on the beach. Uh, ok.

Because we put the tarp up so well in preparation for rain and wind, it was a dead, calm night with no rain. Just stifling humidity. I think we're getting used to it. Just had my morning coffee and said, "good morning" to our camp neighbor who grumbled a reply and am now getting ready to head up to the ranger station to pay for another night.

Ciao for now!!!

2 comments:

  1. Lovin' the blog and the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jeanine!! I'm really enjoying doing it. Not only for those who actually read it but for myself too so that I can remember where we've been and what we've done. Fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete