Friday, June 18, 2010

Day 1 - Home to Lake Havasu State Park




The timing couldn't have been more perfect for this road trip. Not only is it a great time for my son and I to see the US but it's also a time of reflection and introspection (is that a word?) for myself. Hopefully, after we return, we will be refreshed and ready to move forward in our respective worlds.

Today was absolutely great. We left Los Angeles behind and spent 7 hours crossing one of the most desolate stretches of road that I'm aware of. Miles and miles and miles of absolutely nothing. Perfect!! I had actually been across a stretch of highway 62 back in the late 80's when my buddy, Paul, and I decided to take back roads back from Vegas in our rented Mustang convertible. It's weird how, during the one stretch that I'm referring to, that there are all these little shacks scattered throughout the desert. Some of the shacks are completely ramshackle but others have been added onto and people are living there. What the hell are they thinking? It's the middle of nowhere!!!

When we arrived at Lake Havasu State Park, it was 104 degrees in the shade!! Luckily, the water is about 50 yards from our campsite and we spent about an hour just bobbing in the river. One of the most memorable times of my life....my son and I on our own little deserted beach just floating in 85 degree water and enjoying life. It couldn't get much better!

I don't know if we'll be moving on tomorrow or spending another day here. I guess we'll do what we want but, for now, I'll just relish in the moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment